Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Perfect Fan


In 1978, my mother heard a song that she absolutely loved. It was called "Aubrey" and she decided on that day that was what she would name her first daughter. She was twelve years old.

It's Mother's Day today, for those of you who aren't paying attention, and yes, I'm going to write a cliché blog about how much I appreciate my mom.

My mother is the best mother in the entire world. I know you hear that a lot, but mine is true. From the cursive "I love you"s in my sack lunches to paying for my whole life, she's always been there for me.

Around my junior year of high school, I left my home church for another church. I started just going for the youth group because of the fellowship there, but pretty soon I ended up going Sunday mornings. I definitely took for granted the fact that my parents and I went to the same church every Sunday morning for 16 years of my life. I missed looking over and seeing my parents there and just instantly feeling comfortable and safe. I went with her today and I just love watching my mom worship (though I am just like her so it's a little weird). But songs move her, sometimes even to tears. During sermons, she takes notes and underlines and stars things in her bible. She says "amen" when a good word is spoken. She asks for prayer when someone she loves needs it.

I love my mom. So much. She is so important to my family. From the "ask your mother"s that my sister and I get all the time from my dad to her waiting up on the couch until we get home, she loves this family with all she has and shows it. She is humble, and caring, and is always encouraging us to do our best, whether with school or things in everyday life. Everyday she would surprise us with things she would remember that we had forgotten. Either money for school that we needed or washing certain clothes for a spirit day or even making breakfast.

My mom didn't spoil my sister and me, but showed us the all the love we could ever need growing up. She would be there when you came stumbling into the house with a bleeding elbow and tears and snot coming out of your face and she would be there when your "friends" in junior high did something mean that didn't make any sense. When devastating things happen, there's a place inside of you that aches for your mother. I remember last year when my great-grandma died, I was in Redding and my mom was in Hollister and that was hard to go through without her. Luckily, I have really good friends who came by my side in a heartbeat, but I still hurt for her.

I never realized how lucky I had it growing up. My parents are still together and love each other very much (that is a huge lesson in itself) and they raised my sister and I in a Christian home. Not until I was older did I realize what a blessing this is; I thought it was annoying growing up. We didn't get to go to certain places or dress up for Halloween or watch certain movies. But I see now that the sheltering was in their best interest and if they hadn't enforced those rules, I wouldn't be who I am today.

Lately, I've been looking at life a little differently. Call it maturity (finally) but I'm realizing that doing the dishes before my mom gets home from work really does make a difference. Not arguing with my sister over the dumbest things really does make a difference. Using a little less sarcasm really does make a difference. I realized that I love unity way too much to let worldly things like that consume me and cause division.

The Perfect Fan
Backstreet Boys

It takes a lot to know what is love
Its not the big things, but the little things
That can mean enough
A lot of prayers to get me through
And there is never a day that passes by
I don't think of you
You were always there for me
Pushing me and guiding me
Always to succeed

You showed me
When I was young just how to grow
You showed me
Everything that I should know
You showed me
Just how to walk without your hands
cause mom you always were
The perfect fan

God has been so good
Blessing me with a family
Who did all they could
And I've had many years of grace
And it flatters me when I see a smile on your face
I wanna thank you for what you've done
In hopes I can give back to you
And be the perfect son (*cough* daughter)

You showed me how to love
You showed me how to care
And you showed me that you would
Always be there
I wanna thank you for that time
And I'm proud to say you're mine

cause mom you always were,
Mom you always were
Mom you always were,
You know you always were
cause mom you always were... the perfect fan


I don't care if that's a Backstreet Boys song. :P



Please ignore the hair and the braces. I love you, Mom. :)

4 comments:

  1. dang. i fail. i didn't write a blog about my mom. you did. and your blog was awesome. i don't know your mom. but i bet she'll cry if she reads this cause you do good at lyrical flatery. i don't know if lyrical was the right word. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so good Aub. :) I love you AND your mom!!! Yay Janet!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...i'm your mom's biggest fan right now (well, maybe besides you). because, yes, she did an OUTSTANDING job of raising her children. And I know that her spirit raises many others...
    gosh, with the deep hearts and incredible love you and your mom contain inside you, you two could conquer the world and change hundreds of childrens' lives!

    i'm sure she does that everyday though... you will too :).


    and you'll probably write a book in the process...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had so much more to write!!! I was trying to get it done ON mother's day so I ended up not mentioning how great she is helping out my dad with his broken leg and how she is such an amazing teacher and how smart she is and how she is so funny...gahh...well, you guys will just have to take my word for it.

    ReplyDelete